“Everyone deserves to live in dignity, in clean, safe surroundings. For a lot of people, Catholic Charities is the curbstone at the edge of the abyss.” ~David Moebius, former Operations Manager
Catholic Charities Diocese of Toledo provides legal guardianship services for adults age 55 and older who have no appropriate family to make decisions for their medical care and estate. Clients suffer from dementia or other illnesses that limit their decision making capacity. In most cases, clients are impoverished and have been victims of elder abuse or financial exploitation. Many lived isolated lives before entering a nursing home. The probate court appoints Catholic Charities’ volunteers as legal guardians to advocate for their care. However, guardianship becomes much more than advocacy – a volunteer guardian becomes a companion and a friend.
If you are aware of adults age 55 and older who may be victims of self-neglect, mistreatment or exploitation by caregivers or family members, please call 419-668-3073 or your local Adult Protective Services office.
Become a Volunteer Guardian
- Make a difference in someone’s life by being a friend to the lonely.
- Volunteer in your retirement years to help someone in need.
- As a family with young children, “adopt” a grandparent to provide the joy of little ones to someone who has no family to visit them.
What Volunteer Guardianship Includes:
- Initial training and on-going support from Catholic Charities’ staff.
- Assignment to serve one client. Clients assigned to volunteer guardians are able to communicate and appreciate the care and compassion shown by a volunteer.
- A commitment to visiting the client at least once a month and being aware of his or her needs.
- Being available 24/7 to respond to inquiries when needed from nursing home or medical staff regarding the client’s care.
- An opportunity for people of all faiths to participate as guardians. Clients come from various faith backgrounds.
- The opportunity to extend the love and mercy of Christ to the lonely.
To learn more about Guardianship Services, please contact Ed Noftz at 419-668-3073 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guardianship and Caregiver Support Group Meetings
Catholic Charities Adult Advocacy Services hosts support group meetings in Lexington, Ohio, near Mansfield for legal guardians and caregivers to elderly individuals. The support group meetings are hosted bi-monthly on the first Wednesday of the month and provide both education and an opportunity to share with others. The meetings are held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Resurrection Church, 2600 Lexington Ave., Lexington, Ohio 44904. The meetings are open to people of all faiths at no cost.
For more information about group meetings, please contact; Laura Walker, email@example.com or call 419-524-0733 ext 229.
MANSFIELD, OH—Volunteers and family members are invited to attend the Ohio Guardianship Association’s 16th Annual Conference to be held September 22-23, 2021 at the Holiday Inn & Suites, 116 Park Avenue West, in Mansfield, OH. "Extending Hope Through Guardianship" is the theme of this year's conference which is open to the public. Individuals interested in becoming a Catholic Charities...
On Monday, June 15, Catholic Charities invites the community to join the worldwide campaign to wear purple in recognition of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. An estimated five million, or one in 10, seniors nationally are victims of elder abuse, neglect or financial exploitation, according to...
When Terry met Billy for the first time, it seemed as if they had known each other for years. “What connected me with Billy was that he was very easy to talk with,” explains Terry. “We have a lot of the same interests, and we were on the same page.” “We like the same sports...