Candlelight Vigil for Life in Norwalk - Feb. 14
People of all faiths are invited to join Msgr. Kenneth G. Morman and the Northwest Ohio community for a Candlelight Vigil for Abolishment of Ohio’s Death Penalty on Tuesday, Feb. 14, from 7 to 8 p.m. at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church, 91 East Main Street, Norwalk, OH. We pray this evening of peaceful prayer will bring the light of Christ Jesus to move the hearts and minds of all present to a deeper appreciation of the dignity of human life, as we pray for victims of crime and those facing execution.
After a three-year hiatus, Ohio’s plan to resume executions by lethal injection is on hold. Jan. 26, 2017, a federal judge ruled midazolam, used in the State of Ohio’s execution drug protocol, constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. The three individuals granted stays of execution are now scheduled for later execution: Ronald Phillips, May 10; Gary Otte, June 13; and Raymond Tibbetts, July 26.
1. Pray for the victims of crime, those facing execution, and those working in the criminal justice system;
2. Reach out to the families of those affected by violent crime by bringing Christ’s love and compassion;
3. Learn about the Catholic Church’s teaching on capital punishment and educate others in this vital area of concern by visiting: http://www.usccb.org/…/death-penalty-capital-puni…/index.cfm;
4. Advocate for the end of the death penalty by sending a postcard and by calling Governor John Kasich at: 614-466-3555, urging clemency for all 139 individuals on death row in the State of Ohio.
5. Join us for a series of monthly Candlelight Prayer Vigils for the abolition of the death penalty being planned throughout the Diocese of Toledo.
The next Candlelight Prayer Vigil is planned for Tuesday, March 14, at 7 p.m. at St. Gerard Church, 240 West Robb Avenue, Lima, OH, with Rev. Michael D. Sergi presiding.
Churches of any faith denomination interested in holding a Prayer Vigil, or individuals interested in volunteering for Catholic Charities Jail & Prison Ministry, should contact Justice Ministry Coordinator Nick Lyster at 419.214.4958 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more info contact Justice Ministry Coordinator Nick Lyster at email@example.com